Our Journey Into Homeschooling

Thursday, September 5, 2013

Tea on Tuesdays

Several homeschooling moms I know discussed having a tea day and reading poetry.  I checked out some of the other homeschooling blogs and there was some cool stuff about serving "tea" and reading poetry out loud.  In fact, I liked the idea so much that I ran with it.  Okay, okay...I actually created a PowerPoint presentation with a total of 33 lessons, which means we will have enough lessons for our school year.  (I can never seem to do anything off-the-cuff.)  I also decided to include a little bit about proper etiquette during each lesson.  After working on the curriculum for most of the summer, I'm happy to say that our first tea turned out quite well.


This is our menu from the 1st Tea.  And yes, I made it all from scratch.  The Vanilla Bean Scones are from a recipe I found from The Pioneer Woman.  You can find her recipe on her website:  http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/2010/04/petite-vanilla-bean-scones/  They were soooooo good; however, it made more than we could eat.  I sent the extra with my husband this morning for his co-workers; otherwise, I would eat most of them myself.  And that would mean more exercise!

My daughter knew our afternoon tea was special since we used my Blue Willow teapot and drank from real teacups. 




I think Tea on Tuesdays is going to be a favorite for us this year.



 
 
Once we were set, I poured tea, offered refreshments and started our lesson.  We began with table manners during tea and then I introduced the types of poetry we would be discussing during the year.  We ended with a few poems from Where The Sidewalk Ends by Shel Silverstein.  Then we sat and talked and finished our tea.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment